The Library and Media Services is a department under the Academic Affairs Division housed at the Administration Building. It is an integral part of the instructional program of Colegio de San Juan de Letran. It is equipped with resources and facilities necessary to influence student achievement and thus increase their opportunity for success.
The Library is responsible for providing necessary assistance in effectively using an adequate, organized, and well-selected collection of varied forms of materials supporting the programs of the Colegio, Specifically, the Department aims to:
- Provide access to sources of information, which are vital to the learning process.
- Increase the quantity and improve the quality of library holdings.
- Provide a more efficient and effective services to the clientele.
- Encourage the library staff to attend seminars, workshops/training programs and in-house seminars to keep abreast of the recent trends in librarianship.
- Aid the parent institution in carrying out its objectives by contributing to its realization and supports the total program by acquiring and making available the books, materials, and services which are needed.
The Letran Library subscribes to the Dominican philosophy of education and adheres to the Book Selection Policy as contained in the Letran Library Collection Development Policy Statement. The library is keenly aware of the necessity of careful evaluation and selection of materials. It believes that ideas, intelligently presented, are powerful forces for good. It seeks materials which are accurate, objective, sincere and diligently avoids those which are consciously sensational. In fulfilling its responsibility, the library strives to include:
- source materials which document the past (historical);
- thoughtful interpretation of the ideas of the past (historical analysis);
- a record of the times which is of current interest and provides material of future historical significance;
- personal accounts & papers, memoirs, or other writings of opinion on a subject of interest and counter-balancing and contrary opinions available.
- Contemporary and standard works for recreation and leisure. Selection and acquisition of books is based on four controlling factors, namely: the community, the individual merit of the book, the library and common sense.
- The Colegio de San Juan de Letran Library envisions to being one of the leading information centers capable of providing fast access to sources of information, and is fully automated, with systems linked to other libraries locally and internationally under the able and willing support of the management.
- The Colegio de San Juan de Letran Library supports the Colegio’s academic community in the formation of integral human persons and dynamic builders of Christian communities by selecting and acquiring, cataloging, and classifying, retrieving, and disseminating information in print keeping in mind the Dominican ideals and Filipino Dominican philosophy of education in the hallowed tradition of DEUS, PATRIA, LETRAN.